Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dinner Club

Last night, it was my turn to host Dinner Club. For those that don't know what it is...Dinner Club is 8 of my good girlfriends that get together once a month to eat, talk and mostly drink a lot of wine. It's fun and always good to see everyone.

We all take turns hosting and, when you are the host, you do all the cooking for everyone. This is not an easy task.
Need to clean the house.
Need to go grocery shopping.
Need to have the meal on the table by 8.
Have to cook something fabulous.

Since it is February, I thought that I could use the theme of Mardi Gras. I had shrimp cocktail for an appetizer, jambalaya for dinner, salad, cornbread and an almond pastry in the shape of a King Cake for dessert. However, there were a few snafus...

Ding dong. My first guest is here! Kerstin! As she's taking off her coat, I request her help in defrosting the shrimp cocktail, which was still completely frozen. She clears her throat and says, "I'd love to but I can't touch them. I'm allergic to shellfish." Aagghhh!!! I totally forgot!! I feel terrible and profusely apologize for forgetting. Well, at least it's not in the main course. So, hopefully, it's not a total disaster.

Ding dong. My second guest arrives. Alli! She walks into the kitchen remarking on the savory smells, and stops by the pot of jambalaya. "Um, Christy?" "Yes, Alli, what's up? Need some wine? I need some wine! Someone open the wine! Dammit, we need wine here pronto!" "Um, Christy, is that celery in the jambalaya?" "Yes....why?.....OH NO! I forgot that you are allergic to celery!!" Jeezum Christmas!!! I'm such an idiot!! Once again, I'm profusely apologizing and frantically try to think of what to serve Alli for dinner. I whip up some celery-free imitation of jambalaya that I'm sure was barely edible. I'll equate it to when, as a kid, you wanted McDonald's. Your mom would say, "I'm not buying McDonalds. When we get home, I'll make you a hamburger. It will be just as good." And it was never as good. Who had a mom like that?Anyway, it was kinda like that.

Now I have DOUBLE the amount of jambalaya. Ding dong. The last guests arrive. "Sorry, we're so late. Danielle's car wouldn't start...and well....it wouldn't start...and so we're late." "No worries. Anyone allergic to anything?"

All in all, it was a good dinner club. Not my most successful dinner party but I'm getting better. I'm learning as I go. Lesson one: food allergies are important.

Anyone want some jambalaya? I've got plenty!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thіѕ is а tοpic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?

Also visit my site; Www.lgtensunits.com