Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My cast survived only 7 days!

This story is a couple of years old but still funny! I had broken my ankle in January of 04 snowboarding at Vail. I was in a cast for 8 weeks. It wasn't fun. Here's what I wrote...

I must share with you my first cast/crutches mishap. It had been 16 days since I had broken my ankle and, thus, that long since I had taken a shower. (Don't worry, I was taking baths.) That morning, I had decided that I couldn't take it anymore. I was taking a shower!

With a fierce determination to make it happen, I created a watertight contraption. I wrapped a trash bag around my cast and taped it shut against my leg. I threw on a few rubber bands for good sealant measure. Oh yeah, this is gonna work perfectly! Woohoo!

I was so excited. Oh, yes! A shower! What a great feeling. Ummm, that's weird. I felt something cold run down the back of poor leg, over my ankle and out my toes. Hmmm, that is probably not good. I glanced at my leg and....AAAAGGGHHH! My trash bag was a gigantic water balloon. It was drinking up water faster than my sister can throw back a Guinness. I leapt out of the shower. (Mind you, I couldn't really leap, so it looked more like falling.) I fell out of the shower and, with grace befitting the New York Ballet Company, I managed to clear off my sink counter of all its contents, throw all of my towels into the shower stream, and soak my toilet paper through. My bathroom looked like a tornado had hit it...or, actually, like a hurricane.

Ugh. I dried off and assessed the damage. "Let's see. Every time I step down, water runs out of it. Is that okay? It's definitely soaked through, completely saturated, like a huge plaster sponge.
Oh boy. I better call my doctor."

Have any you tried to move a plaster cast soaked with water? Well, for your information, it weighs about 400 pounds. My doctor yelled through the phone, "Jeezus. Come in! This morning! We have to put a new one on!"

So, with that, I was off to get a new one. I just might have broken the record for shortest amount of time that a cast survived: 7 days. Wish me luck...um, wish me more luck!!

No comments: