Sunday, June 07, 2009

High Altitude Biscuit Recipe

After ten different recipes over the course of a year, I finally figured out a great recipe for delicious, moist biscuits.  My friends just rave about these!  At 5280 ft altitude in Denver, CO, baking is a challenge. Due to less atmospheric pressure, leavening will occur too rapidly, causing breads, biscuits, cakes to rise and then pop long before they are ready to come out of the oven. This recipe works every time!

High Altitude Biscuits
(makes 6-10 depending on size)

2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/4 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt, if Kosher salt increase to 1t.
1 stick cold salted butter
1 to 1.5 c. cold milk or buttermilk
1/2 lemon, if no buttermilk
Optional: cheese, jalapenos, garlic, onion, anything that you like can be added to the dough.

Preheat oven to 425o
Squeeze the lemon into the cold milk. This is to sour the milk, making it similar to buttermilk. Of course, you can use buttermilk if you choose. I didn't have any so I made my own! Put in the fridge to keep cold.
Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.  I use a whisk to get it really mixed.
Using a knife, cut the stick of cold butter into dry ingredients and mix until butter is coarse sand and small peas. I use a potato masher but you can use a pastry cutter or two knives. Don't use your hands; you need to keep the butter cold.
Add the soured cold milk a little at a time until you reach the right consistency. The dough should be very sticky and wet. It will seem too wet but at this altitude the moisture evaporates quickly.  Dump out onto a floured surface and knead 5-7 times. Kneading is a strong word, I just fold it on top of itself a few times to add layers (the less the better) using your hands (it's okay to use them now) and adding a little flour if still very sticky.  After folding, it shouldn't be sticking to your hands anymore.
Cut into squares, rounds, triangles or whatever you like!
Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 - 25 minutes until golden brown on top.  Baking time depends on biscuit size so just keep checking them.
Brush tops with melted butter (optional)

Bon appetit!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just moved from Texas to Evergreen, Co and have been apprehensive about baking. This was my first attempt and it turned out perfect. My kids said it's the best biscuits they ever had. I added about a cup of shredded cojack cheese. It was delicious!

Anonymous said...

I live in Breck and with a little less bakin powder and a little water to make up for evaporation, this works perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Best Biscuit recipe I have found for High altitude baking. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

In the oven now and looking much better than my attempt last night... Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Conseils tres interessants. A quand la suite?

Anonymous said...

I guess you may want to place a twitter icon to your website. I just marked down the site, however I must make this manually. Just my suggestion.

Patsy said...

Sounds good but I'm a novice and need VERY specific info...Roll out to what thickness? Thanks!

Christy H said...

Hi Patsy, I usually roll them out to 2 inches tall thickness. (I like mine tall!) However, you can bake them in any shape and size that you want. Just make sure that they are all uniform so that they all bake at the same rate.

Amy said...

Thank you! Can't wait to try it. I've been experimenting on my own in Logan UT and I'm slowly getting it, but this will hopefully get them there!

Roscoe said...

Hi
As two Chicago area senior citizens now living and working in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (alt.7,625 ft), I can say that your recipe works just fine here as well. We love our life and work here, but sometimes miss bake goods the way we have them back home. At least we can make first quality biscuits here now. FYI, we use our food processor for everything except the kneading and rolling out. Works great!

joy said...

good taste, light and flaky. Had trouble in the baking process, as the bottoms started to burn while my tops never browned. But that could be my oven. I reduced the baking powder a bit more, as i'm in Quito, Ecuador at 9,350 feet, but then they didnt puff up much at all. Will keep experimenting. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Whats up very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .

. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally? I am happy to find so many useful information right here in the submit, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Also visit my blog post :: swimsuit

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome. I used buttermilk mix and 2 tablespoons of baking powder (accidentally) and they were fluffy and YUM!! Adding this to our favorite recipe book. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I live at 7200ft elevation. I have made just tolerable biscuits for 6 years. This recipe was amazing!!!!!!!!!
I will never use another. Thank you so much. Light, moist, crisp , flaky. The best I have ever had anywhere. Amanda. Pinedale Wyoming

Anonymous said...

I am in Santa Fe, NM, elevation 7,000. I made the mistake of just throwing all the milk in and it was way too wet. I had to add at least a cup of extra flour. I'm going to try it again and add just a little at a time. I'll let you know.

Christy H said...

Hi Anonymous in Santa Fe, how did it go? At these altitudes, I find that the dough can be sticky and wet, not the usual firm, drier dough that you find. My dough usually sticks to everything (hands, wooden spoon) until I set it out on the floured surface for kneading, which helps dry it out a little. Good luck to all of you high altitude bakers out there!